Farmstead record SOT 013 - Farmstead: Sotterley Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4594 8517 (130m by 137m)|
|Civil Parish||SOTTERLEY, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- STABLE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- COACH HOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- COW HOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- COVERED YARD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD FULL PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Sotterly Hall is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular full plan with additonal covered yards and further attached elements. The farmhouse is attached to the agricultural range. The farmstead sits alongside a private track in an isolated location. This farmstead survives intact with conversion for residential use.
Group of 19th C brick farm buildings including stables, a coach house, a covered yard and a quadruple cowshed, in the grounds of Sotterley Hall (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- Listed Building (I) 282007: SOTTERLEY HALL
- Listed Building (II) 282008: SERVICE WING IMMEDIATELY SOUTH EAST OF SOTTERLEY HALL
- Listed Building (II) 282009: STABLING AND COACH HOUSE IMMEDIATELY TO EAST OF SOTTERLY HALL
- Listed Building (II) 282010: COWSHEDS 50 METRES EAST OF SOTTERLEY HALL
- Listed Building (II) 282011: WATER TOWER (INCLUDING ATTACHED ENGINE HOUSE), 60 METRES SOUTH EAST OF SOTTERLEY HALL
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 22 2020 9:23AM