Farmstead record HLN 010 - Farmstead: Holton Lodge
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4003 7750 (93m by 72m)|
|Civil Parish||HOLTON, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- HOUSE (16th century to 19th century - 1500 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- STABLE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- SHELTER SHED (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD U PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Holton Lodge is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular U-plan with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in a village location. There has been a partial loss of working buildings with the remaining converted for residential use.
A historic buildings survey was carried out for a barn, prior to its conversion. The barn stands in the grounds of Holton Lodge, a 16th C L-shaped timber-framed and plastered house, which has been altered a number of times during the 18th and 19th C. The barn itself is a 19th C timber-framed and weatherboarded structure on a brick plinth. The barn has 5 bays, with the later addition of a single bay of stabling and a brick lean-to shelter shed at one end. The barn, which has a queen strut roof, is constructed from poor quality timbers, many of which have been re-used from 16th and 17th C buildings. When the stables were built, the orientation of the barn was reversed (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S1> SSF54129 Unpublished document: Greening, A.. 2009. Holton Lodge, Holton near Halesworth, Suffolk: A Level-2 Historic Assessment Report.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2019 1:20PM