Monument record BSE 344 - Post-medieval lime kiln and features, Chapel Cottage, Hollow Road, Bury St Edmunds
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8640 6484 (29m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
2010: Evaluation trenches in the grounds of Chapel Cottage found no evidence of that could be related to the former medieval hospital of St Nicholas's immediately to the south. There is evidence from three of the four trenches for lime burning. This was clearest in trench 2 where a large pit, or exposed chalk face contained bricks from a partially robbed structure with evidence for successive phases of burning that dates from the late 17th - early 18th century (S1).
2014: An archaeological monitoring and a 'strip and map' was carried out during site clearance and groundworks at the site of Chapal Cottage, Hollow Road, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. The site strip and excavation of terracing a pit, possibly associated with chalk extraction, a trench and a section face showing the tail end of a probable lime kiln first exposed in 2010 (Tester 2010) all of post-medieval date. A slight linear gully may be evidence of a property boundary of similar date. There was no evidence for the medieval hospital of St Nicholas immediately to the south of the site (S2).
- <S1> SSF54173 Unpublished document: Tester, A.. 2010. Archaeological Evaluation Report, Chapel Cottage, Hollow Road, Bury St Edmunds, BSE 344.
- <S2> SSF55646 Unpublished document: Tester, A.. 2014. Archaeological Monitoring Report, Chapel Cottage, Hollow Road, Bury St Edmunds.
- <S3> SSF53391 Unpublished document: Rolfe, J.. 2010. Archaeological Desk Based Assessment, Chapel Cottage, Bury St Edmunds.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Survey: Desk-Based Assessment, Chapel Cottage, Bury St Edmunds (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-72889) (ESF20656)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation, Chapel Cottage, Hollow Road, Bury St Edmunds (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-76027) (ESF21206)
- Event - Intervention: Monitoring, Chapel Cottage, Hollow Road, Bury St Edmunds (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-171536) (ESF22785)
Record last edited
Jun 14 2018 11:04AM