Monument record SKT 040 - Medieval remains, Cedars Park (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0574 5876 (215m by 69m)|
|Civil Parish||STOWMARKET, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PIT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PATH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOFT? (12th century to 15th century - 1100 AD to 1499 AD)
- STRUCTURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CLAY PIT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BARN? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POST HOLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
2005: Evaluation revealed three areas of ditches, including an area of medieval field ditches in the SE part of the development site. One ditch contained a large medieval pottery assemblage and an adjacent pit contained over 5kg of daub, much of which had the impressions of daub in it, suggesting medieval buildings in the vicinity. The remains are thought to represent medieval activity along the course of the Creeting Road (S1).
2005: Excavation identified a cobbled pathway, a regular grid of plot boundaries/ drainage ditches (possibly tofts) running back from the road, a post built structure and cobbled surface, and a second barn like structure with two parrallel beam slots and two clay extraction pits (S2).
- --- SSF54877 Unpublished document: Woolhouse, T.. 2006. Medieval Settlement at Cedars Park, Stowmarket, Suffolk, Post Excavation Assessment and Updated Project Design.
- <S1> SSF54209 Unpublished document: Woolhouse, T., Williams, J. & Weston, P.. 2005. Cedars Park, Stowmarket, Suffolk (Phases 5B, 9A and 9B). Archaeological Evaluation.
- <S2> SSF54850 Unpublished document: Mundin A & Woodhouse T. 2006. Cedars Park, Stowmarket, Suffolk (Phases 5B), Interim Report.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jan 15 2013 2:49PM