Farmstead record BUX 031 - Farmstead: The Thatches
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9841 5663 (61m by 67m)|
|Civil Parish||BUXHALL, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
16th C timber-framed house with a typical three-cell plan and an extra chimney bay. The house also uses base crucks within its construction (S1).
The Thatches, Buxhall. 19th century farmstead and 16th century farmhouse. Regular courtyard U-shaped plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Only the farmhouse survives. Located within a loose farmstead cluster (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54321 Article in serial: Colman, S.. 1990. Base-cruck usages in Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF22191 Map: 1837/39. Buxhall Tithe Map and Apportionment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 22 2020 1:36PM