Farmstead record FNG 039 - Farmstead: College Barn
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0224 5841 (78m by 88m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT FINBOROUGH, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
16th C three cell open hall house which uses base crucks within its construction. The house is longer listable due to alterations made in the 1970's (S1).
College Barn, Great Finborough. 19th century farmstead and 16th century farmhouse with converted buildings. Regular courtyard L-shaped plan with buildings to the third side formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a loose farmstead cluster (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54321 Article in serial: Colman, S.. 1990. Base-cruck usages in Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S6> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S7> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S8> SSF59539 Map: 1840. Great Finborough Tithe Map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 27 2020 10:03AM