Farmstead record WTN 024 - Farmstead: Nelson's Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1786 5361 (126m by 135m)|
|Civil Parish||WITNESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (9)
- FARMHOUSE (16th century to 19th century - 1500 AD to 1899 AD)
- BACK HOUSE (16th century to 19th century - 1500 AD to 1899 AD)
- DAIRY (16th century to 19th century - 1500 AD to 1899 AD)
- THRESHING BARN (16th century to 19th century - 1500 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- STABLE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- CART SHED (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- LOOSE COURTYARD PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Nelson's Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in an isolated location. The farmstead is laid out in a loose courtyard plan. There has been a significant loss of working buildings with modern sheds to the side.
Group of farm buildings in the grounds of Nelson's Farmhouse, a 16th C timber-framed, 3 cell cross passage entrance house. A number of alterations were carried out to the farmhouse during the 19th C including the the walls and roof being raised, alongside interior remodelling. Also present is a 16th C timber framed backhouse with a dairy at one end; again the roof was raised during the 19th C. A 16th C 3 bay timber-framed threshing barn also underwent a series of alterations during the 19th C. There is also an 18th C timber-framed barn and a 19th C brick stable with a hayloft above. A 19th C timber-framed cartlodge was demolshed during the 20th C. A group of 20th C shelter sheds are also present at the site (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S1> SSF54572 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P.. 2011. A Heritage Asset Assessment of Nelson's Farm, Witnesham, Suffolk.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Nov 18 2019 1:49PM