Farmstead record WFG 043 - Farmstead: Moreves Manor (Morris Farm)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9164 4311 (119m by 86m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT WALDINGFIELD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- THRESHING BARN (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (16th century to 17th century - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
- BACK HOUSE (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- MANOR HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BARN (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD L PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
A 17th C timber-framed aisled barn of 6 bays and with two threshing floors, which re-uses timbers from a 14th/15th C house of some status. It is believed that this was Moreves Manor house which once stood at this site. The current farmhouse consists of a 16th C service building with a blackened crown-post roof, that was extended in both the late 16th and 17th C. Also present is a 16th C backhouse (S1).
Moreves Manor (Morris Farm), Great Waldingfield. 17th century farmstead and farmhouse with converted buildings. Regular courtyard L-shpaed plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. The farmstead is extant. Located within a loose farmstead cluster (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54583 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P.. 2010. A report on the architectural history of The Barn at Moreves Manor, Great Waldringfield, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF60086 Map: 1838. Great Waldingfield Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 21 2021 2:42PM