Farmstead record SEL 028 - Farmstead: Home Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3446 8365 (89m by 84m)|
|Civil Parish||ST MICHAEL, SOUTH ELMHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Home Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular U-plan with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a private track in a loose farmstead cluster. This farmstead survives intact with conversion for residential use.
18th C timber-framed and thatched barn, sitting on a brick plinth. Much of the original cladding has been lost, although some of the original wattle and daub survives on the internal walls. Now converted into a residential dwelling (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S1> SSF54603 Unpublished document: 2006. Archaeological Report: Home Farm Barn.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 16 2020 11:32AM