Farmstead record CDD 078 - Farmstead: Shrubland Home Farm (Shrubland Park Farm)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1284 5303 (190m by 160m)|
|Civil Parish||BARHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||CODDENHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (11)
- BARN (16th century to 19th century - 1500 AD to 1899 AD)
- STOCK ENCLOSURE (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- DAIRY (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- COW HOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- COVERED YARD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- STABLE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- COW HOUSE (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- HAY BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- DISPERSED MULTI YARD PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Extensive group of agricultural buildings. The group includes a 16th C brick barn with mullioned windows. Its original use is not clear although it has since been used for a variety of agricultural roles. Part of the roof has been reconstructed after it was destroyed by fire in the mid 1900's. Attached to the barn is an 18th C enclosure with a flint wall, used to contain pigs. Also present is a very large brick dariy, half of which was used as a milking hall and the other as a dairy hall. The building has an ornamental roof, relfecting its construction at a time when a number of model farms were being built across the county. There are a number of cattle sheds and stables at this site as well as a brick range which now contains cattle stalls, although its original use if again unknown. Also present is a prefabriacted 19th C hay barn (S1).
Shrubland Home Farm (Shrubland Park Farm), Coddenham. 16th century farmstead and 19th century farmhouse with converted buildings. Dispersed multi-yard plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Significant loss (over 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within an isolated position (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54637 Unpublished document: Craddock, A.. 2012. Farm Buildings, Shrubland Old Hall, Coddenham, Suffolk: Historic Building Record.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF21549 Map: 1840. Barham Tithe Map and Apportionment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 9 2020 4:04PM