Farmstead record COK 060 - Farmstead: Brook Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9180 5320 (70m by 68m)|
|Civil Parish||COCKFIELD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Brook Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular courtyard L plan. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a private track in a loose farmstead cluster. This farmstead survives intact with conversion for residential use. (S2-5)
19th C timber-framed threshing barn of 3 bays in the grounds of a 16th C farmhouse. The barn contains a large number of re-used timbers, dating from the 14th to the 18th centuries. It has been interpreted that the 16th C timbers would have come from a 16th C barn that once stood at the site (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54665 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P.. 2010. A report on the Architectural History of the Barn at Brook Farm, Cockfield, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S5> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 16 2020 2:59PM