Monument record BRD 049 - Church of St Peter (and St Paul) (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7771 8616 (89m by 135m)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
This church stands within the diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, archdeaconry of Sudbury, deanery of Mildenhall. Status: rectory. Recorded in Domesday Survey, 1086.
Structure is : chancel, S chapel, nave, S aisle, N porch, W tower. Originally the fabric consisted of a Saxon [sic] nave only but it was rebuilt late in C14: much remains from this second phase of building. The chancel arch, aisle and S chapel are later, ie C15. The chancel is C14 and early Decorated. The E window is of 5 lights, segment-headed, and has an irregular design with reticulated elements. The side windows have external hood-moulds and corbel heads. The chancel has large octagonal angle turrets with pinnacles carried up above the parapet. The chancel arch is Perpendicular but its piers are early Decorated. The lower portions of the rood screen are original and richly painted; it extends across the nave and aisle. The nave is early Decorated. The font is Early English, either C13 or C14; it is a stone octagon and the basin is supported by a central octagonal column and 8 detached shafts around the circumference. The supporting shafts have well moulded caps and bases intersecting. There are a few simple C15 bench ends and some curious C17 poppyheads. In the angle turret N of the sanctuary is an aumbry. The arcade is an early Decorated pier arcade of C13 consisting of 5 bays. It has moulded bases and caps, the square plinth to the former being bossed and carved; the arches have two small quadrant hollows. The S chapel is divided from the chancel by two arches. The S aisle and S chapel are Perpendicular. The door to the tower stairs is C14 and ironclad and the tower itself is square and constructed of flints. The tower stands at the W end of the nave; it is early Decorated but the doorway and window are Perpendicular. The buttresses are at right angles to the tower and there is a modern wooden spire. The N porch is Perpendicular and early C16, it contains a water stoup which resembles a small font in the SW angle (S2). In 1873 the entire church was restored. During the work some parts of a tesselated pavement were found (S2)(S3).
On the OS 1:10560 map, 1959, a cemetery is marked directly to the E of the church. The 1:10000 map, 1981, names the same area of land as allotment gardens.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 24 2012 11:39AM