Monument record RBK 006 - Church of St Nicholas
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8935 6151 (65m by 53m)|
|Civil Parish||RUSHBROOKE WITH ROUGHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
This church is in the diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, the archdeaconry of Suffolk and the deanery of Lavenham. Status: recctory (S1). The structure is: chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch, W tower (S1). The chancel contains many monuments to the Jermyn and Davers families and there are remains of early C16 glass in the E window. In the nave, the benches face each other as in a college chapel; they were installed by Colonel Rushbrooke in the mid C19. The rood beam is a rare survival. The major feature of the church are the Royal Arms of Henry VIII. There are two theories as to the authenticity of these Arms. If they are genuine they are the only example of this period in the country and were erected just after the Reformation, probably by Sir Thomas Jermyn. However, they do appear to be very like the craftsmanship of Colonel Rushbrooke, the Victorian amateur, who altered the appearance of the church very much in that period. In 1840 the Royal Arms do not appear to have been in the church and in 1855 they were called a modern introduction. The nave roof is arch-braced. The font is wooden and was installed by Colonel Rushbrooke in the mid C19. A chapel lies on the S side of the chancel and acts as a mausoleum for the Jermyn and Davers families. The S aisle is split into two bays and part of it is used as a vestry. The roof of the S aisle is early C16. The W tower is Decorated with Perpendicular insertions (S2).
The church has undergone extensive rebuilding; only the tower survives from a probably C14 church. The rest of the church was rebuilt by Sir Thomas Jermyn in 1540 (S2).
Note surrounding enclosure RBK 014 and field system RBK 015.
The wooden font dates from 1850 and is one of 32 listed by Harris (S3)
From NRHE record:
A Church of St. Nicholas 14C. square tower, stucco on flint. Nave and chancel largely rebuilt in 16C. with brick and stucco, brick mullion ws. and crow stepped gables. Plaintiles. 16C. S. porch, also brick and stucco. Braced cambered tie-beam roof.c.1540 thought to have been built by Sir Thomas Jermyn. Unique Royal arms of Henry VIII on beam inscribed with DIEU ET MON DROICT, braces supporting the
beams spring from canopied niches with figures. The nave was seated c.1850 by Col. Rushbrooke with facing benches in the style of a college chapel, the carving being done by him. There are monuments to Sir Thomas Jermyn, 1644, Thomas Jermyn 1650, Henry Jermyn 1672 and another of the same name, 1683, Thomas Jermyn 1692 and Thos. Lord Jermyn 1703. Also to Sir Robert Davers 1722, Chas. Davers, 1806. N.B.R.
- <S1> SSF20777 (No record type): SAU, Suffolk Parishes, a guide to their archaeol and hist, 1984-1985, ms.
- <M1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. AP: NMR 13354/8.
- <S2> SSF17929 (No record type): SAU (Atkinson R G), Summary of doc sources for churches in Suff, 1986,ms.
- <S3> SSF50284 Bibliographic reference: Harris, B.L.. 2006. Harris's Guide to Churches and Cathedrals.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S5> SSF59804 Bibliographic reference: District of St Edmundsbury. 1974. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 25 2021 2:58PM