Monument record MRM 030 - Four small Neolithic pits containing Grooved Ware pottery, worked flints and burnt flints. (Neo)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2557 4795 (249m by 189m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Four small pits containing Grooved Ware pottery, worked flints and burnt flints were excavated in 1986, following their exposure by road works for the Martlesham By-Pass. A fifth pit at TM 2552 4793 was noted but could not be excavated before its destruction; a sherd of beaker pottery may have come from this pit (S1). Details in (S4) and excavation archive.
Work on new roundabout - no consultation done but mostly involved removing made ground. Only occasional burnt flints seen in SW corner (S2).
Also area of rough ground had numerous pits/trenches dug for ?bike scrambling - in spoil; 1 core, few flakes and light scatter of burnt flints (S3).
Also BA & IA.
- <R1> SSF16652 (No record type): Proc Suff Inst Archaeol 36, 1987, 237-238.
- <S1> SSF19416 (No record type): SAU, Martin E, excavation archive.
- <M1> SSF45273 (No record type): Excavation archive:.
- <S2> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Newman, J., SCCAS..
- <S3> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Newman J., SCCAS. Aug 2002.
- <S4> SSF53887 Bibliographic reference: Martin E. 1993. Settlements on Hill-tops: Seven Prehistoric Sites in Suffolk. EAA 65. EAA 65, 49-51, ill.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2013 9:15AM