Farmstead record SEN 065 - Farmstead: Brook Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3202 8271 (51m by 64m)|
|Civil Parish||ALL SAINTS AND ST NICHOLAS, SOUTH ELMHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- FARMHOUSE (16th century to 19th century - 1500 AD to 1899 AD)
- THRESHING BARN (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- STABLE (16th century to 19th century - 1500 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD U PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
Brook Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a U-plan with the farmhouse detached and set side on to the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in a village location. There has been a partial loss of working buildings with modern sheds to the side.
Grade II* 16th C timber-framed Yeoman's farmhouse with a queen post roof. Despite 19th and 20th C alterations and changes to the layout of the building, surviving 19th C plaster may preserve original painted decoration. The building would orignally have had oriel and mullion windows.
A 16th C timber-framed threshing barn with a queen post roof also stands at the site, with its original doors still in tact. The barn originally had 6 bays, although the most southerly bay was demolished and in the 19th C a brick stable was constructed in its place. The stable re-uses a number of Tudor bricks, possibly from an earlier stable at the site (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S1> SSF55046 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2008. Outline Historical Survey: Brook Farm, St Nicholas South Elmham, Suffolk.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Nov 28 2019 9:12AM