Farmstead record MKS 013 - Farmstead: Glebe Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2162 6553 (113m by 140m)|
|Civil Parish||MONK SOHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
17th C timber-framed barn of 4 bays. High quality timber was used in its construction and the majority of the timber frame remains in tact, althought some roof timbers have been lost from the original clasped purlin roof. Evidence of small rear doors survives which is unusual and the entrance bay contains a well preseved stone floor. The barn is a rare early barn of modest proportions and is therefore of historic interest.
In the 19th C cattle yards and sheds were added to the barn, but now only a single brick wall survives (S1).
Glebe Farm (Rectory), Monk Soham. 17th century farmstead and 19th century rectory. Regular courtyard E-shaped plan formed by working agricultural buildings with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Significant loss (over 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a village (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSF59853 Map: 1840. Monk Soham Tithe Map.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- --- SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S1> SSF55050 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2012. Heritage Asset Assessment: Barn at Glebe Farm, Monk Soham, Suffolk.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 4 2021 11:59AM