Monument record BRF 068 - Roman Burials, Land at Blood Hill, Bramford, Suffolk (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1132 4835 (64m by 52m)|
|Civil Parish||BRAMFORD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Monitoring of the soil strip in advance of gravel extraction on Blood Hill, Bramford, during April 2006 revealed a number of archaeological features comprising pits, ditches and at least five graves containing a total of seven inhumations. The ditches are believed to relate to the late prehistoric/Roman periods. The Roman burials comprised three graves in a tight group, which have been dated to the Late 4th Century AD. Two of the graves contained single inhumations identified as mature males, one of which was accompanied but numerous iron nails suggesting the body had been placed in a coffin. Another grave contained three inhumations, an adult woman and two juveniles, with accompanying goods comprising numerous jet and glass beads, a complete pottery vessel, a finger ring, a bracelet and two anklets. Skeletal evidence indicated that the adult women and the older of the two juveniles had suffered a vicious attack that had led to their deaths as testified by a number of unhealed sword or knife cuts to the skull. A fourth probable grave was also excavated. No bone was present but comparison of soil samples revealed elevated phosphate levels within the cut suggesting the possible presence of a burial (S1).
- <S1> SSF55202 Unpublished document: Sommers M. 2008. Archaeological Excavation Report, Blood Hill, Bramford.
- FSF38217: BEAD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF38218: BEAD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF38219: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF38220: NAIL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF38221: PIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF38222: FINGER RING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF38223: ARMLET (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF38224: ARMLET (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 9 2015 2:31PM