Monument record WRW 058 - Probable post medieval boundary bank. Kings Forest, Wordwell
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8192 7229 (196m by 225m)|
|Civil Parish||WORDWELL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (9)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- ENCLOSURE? (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WOOD BANK? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Unknown date)
Roughly semi-circular banked enclosure earthwork apparently abutting W side of linear field/parish boundary bank WRW 023. Circa 230m N-S by 150m E-W. Shows clearly on LIDAR 2m resolution imagewithin de-stumped compartment (S1).
October 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
A probable post medieval bank is seen as an earthwork on visualised lidar data (S2). The semi circular bank most likely relates to a post medieval boundary bank, wood bank or enclosure possibly relating to post medieval forestry. The bank is in close proximity to boundary banks most likely relating to the parish boundary between West Stow and Wordwell (WRW 023) to the east as well as further probable boundary banks (WSW 049) to the west. The bank is not visible on the Frist Edition Ordnance Survey Map (S3). The bank can also be seen on aerial photographs, however the feature has been mapped principally from the visualised lidar data as the extents of the feature are clearer on this source.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 25th October 2019.
- <S1> SSF53973 Digital archive: Environment Agency. c1999-2012. LIDAR jpg images (EA).
- <S2> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Kings Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S3> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 10 2020 3:53PM