Monument record ADT 008 - A Bronze-Age ring ditch.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3609 4225 (22m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDERTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Ring ditch, circa 25m diameter (TM36074225) (S1). Adjacent ring ditch ADT 007, within area ADT 009.
A single ring ditch of unknown date and function is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs, centred on TM 36064225 in Alderton parish. The ring ditch encloses an area of 20m in diameter. The proximity of the ring ditch to three others may suggest that it is part of a Bronze Age barrow cemetery. (S2) (S3) Grid reference altered to fit rectified plot. (S4)
April 2016. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Beauty National Mapping Programme.
This ring ditch is likely to have formed part of a Bronze Age round barrow cemetery, see ADT 105 for details. The relationship with the trackway and fields of ADT 099 would suggest that this barrow was still extant at the time of laying out of the main boundary ditches and was incorporated into the route of the trackway.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 20th April 2016.
- <S1> SSF18866 (No record type): SAU, APs AJD 11 & 12.
- <M1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. APs: AJD 11, 12.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 58/839 5112 11-MAR-1952.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 58/877 5098 21-MAY-1952.
- <S4> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 19/03/04.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone NMP Project (EXS18033)
- Event - Interpretation: TM34SW. Mapping Block 3: Sutton to Hollesley. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085 (ESF23666)) (ESF23666)
Record last edited
Jul 7 2021 8:50PM