Farmstead record RLS 006 - Farmstead: Street Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1621 6854 (108m by 92m)|
|Civil Parish||RISHANGLES, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- OPEN HALL HOUSE (15th century to 16th century - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
- SERVICE WING (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (15th century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
- BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD MULTI YARD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
15th C open hall house, with a crown post roof over the hall. During the 16th C a number of alterations were made, such as the construction of a chimney and the insertion of floors over the main hall. In the 18th C a separate service range was built, using a number of re-used timbers (S1).
Street Farm, Redlingfield. 19th century farmstead and 15th century farmhouse. Regular courtyard multi-yard plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a village (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54654 Bibliographic reference: Eavesdropper: The Newsletter of the Suffolk Historic Buildings Group. 1997 (11).
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF59955 Map: 1846. Rishangles Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 3 2021 2:50PM