Farmstead record RMB 016 - Farmstead: Kimbers Court (Red House Farm)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3616 8180 (46m by 75m)|
|Civil Parish||RUMBURGH, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Red House Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular U-plan with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is detached and set end on to the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in a village location. There has been a significant loss of working buildings with modern sheds on site.
An interesting and unusual 16th C timber-framed two cell house, with a late 16th/early 17th C parlour extension (S1)
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S1> SSF54654 Bibliographic reference: Eavesdropper: The Newsletter of the Suffolk Historic Buildings Group. Walker, J 2006 (32).
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 11 2020 10:56AM