Farmstead record ASN 023 - Farmstead: AVELEY HALL
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 944 396 (85m by 131m)|
|Civil Parish||ASSINGTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Aveley Hall is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular E-plan with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a private track in an isolated location. There has been a partial loss of working buildings with the remaining converted for residential use. (S2-5)
Sub Manor to Assington Manor ASN 001.
C11th 1 carucate with soc. held by Bringer.
C13th Godgrey de Bellomonte owns annexed to Levenya Strattons.
C15/16th Elizabeth wife of Sir William Chaworth owns then Sir John Dunham.
1570 John Winterflod owns.
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF58959 Suffolk County Historic Environment Record: Suffolk County Council Sites and Monument Record: Aveley Hall.
- <S2> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S5> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 18 2020 7:44AM