Farmstead record BSM 045 - Farmstead: Great Roper's Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 918 359 (100m by 196m)|
|Civil Parish||BURES ST MARY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Great Roper's Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular full-plan with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sit alongside a public road in an isolated location. There has been a partial loss of working buildings with large modern sheds on site. (S2-5)
C15th Suggested ownership by de Bures & Waldergrave families possible link to Overhall. (S1)
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF58986 Suffolk County Historic Environment Record: Suffolk County Council Sites and Monuments Record: Ropers Hall.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 4 2020 12:13PM