Farmstead record BXF 017 - Coddenahm Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 952 399 (74m by 122m)|
|Civil Parish||BOXFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD MULTI YARD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD FULL PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD E PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Coddenham Hall is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular multi yard pattern with full-plan and E-plan ranges. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a private track in an isolated location. Only the farmhouse remains.
A post-medieval farmhouse built near the site of a much earlier Tudor mansion. Visible on the 1st edition OS map (S1).
1316 T. FitzEustance owns linked to Halstead. Passed via diverse owners to:
C15th Robert Clopton owns (linked to Gr Waldringfield, Lond Melford, and Groton).
1504 William of Forth of Hadleigh owns.
1552 William Risbie of Lavenham dies seised.
1655 Brond or Brand family owns (linked to Polstead, Edwardstone, Gt Cornar and Bures).
1885 C J Grimwade owns (linked to numerous manors throughout Suffolk). (S5)
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S5> SSF58975 Suffolk County Historic Environment Record: Suffolk County Council Sites and monuments Record: Coddenham Hall.
- <S6> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 ASP 04-FEB-60.
- <S7> SSF1127 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H.R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 16 2021 2:10PM