Monument record ELO 014 - Iron Age/Anglo-Saxon pit containing sherds from bowl at Playters New Farm, Church Road, Ellough
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 439 882 (626m by 355m)|
|Civil Parish||ELLOUGH, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
2014: Geophysical survey detected various land drains and cultivation effects as well as a small number of individual magnetic anomalies potentially representing silted pits or hollows (S2).
Feb 2015: Evaluation trenching produced findings consistend with the desk-based-assessment and geophysical survey, with post medieval to modern agricultural practices predominating and only a single isolate Iron Age/ Anglo-Saxon pit containing pottery sherds of a bowl.
Small fragments of burnt degraded bone were present within charcoal rich fill and therefore the Iron Age/Anglo Saxon pit may have been a cremation pit, however no human remains were present and only a few cow teeth, along with 55 sherds of pottery and 10 fired clay framents. 23 fragments of burnt flint and heat-affected stone were recovered which may represent evidence of possible prehistoric activity.
Late Post medieval to modern land drains were present, along with gullies and agricultural field divisions. A small amount of modern CBM fragments and pottery sherds were found in one of the ditches. Post medieval/modern brick was found in another ditch. A large ditch contained three fills, including Basal Fill and Upper Fill, it is possible that this feature could be a large elongated quarry pit as it does not align with post medieval boundaries present of earlier cartographic sources (S1).
- <S1> SSF57756 Unpublished document: Schofield, T.. 2015. Archaeological Evaluation: Playters New Farm, Church Road, Ellough, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF58345 Unpublished document: Bartlett, A.. 2014. Archaeological Geophysical Survey, Playters New Solar Farm, Ellough.
- <S3> SSF58449 Unpublished document: Dawson, C. and Holland, K.. 2014. Archaeology and Heritage Desk-Based Assessment, Playters New Solar Farm, Ellough.
- FSF44927: POTTERY (Early Iron Age to Late Saxon - 800 BC to 1065 AD)
- FSF44928: FIRED CLAY (Early Iron Age to Late Saxon - 800 BC to 1065 AD)
- FSF44929: BURNT FLINT (Early Iron Age to Late Saxon - 800 BC to 1065 AD)
- FSF44930: ANIMAL REMAINS (Early Iron Age to Late Saxon - 800 BC to 1065 AD)
- FSF44931: BRICK (Post Medieval to IPS: Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
- FSF44932: POTTERY (IPS: Modern - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Survey: Desk-based Assessment - Playters New Solar Farm, Ellough (ESF25519)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation, Playters New Farm, Church Road, Ellough (Ref: OASIS-britanni1-206935) (ESF22534)
- Event - Intervention: Geophysical Survey, Playters New Farm, Ellough, Suffolk (Ref: OASIS-oxfordar3-170735) (ESF22852)
Record last edited
Mar 29 2018 2:24PM