Monument record BNH 018 - Barnham Number 1 pit (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8864 8015 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BARNHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
This site is situated in the loop of the Little Ouse river on Barnham Heath and was excavated by Basil Brown at the time he was removing Pal and Neo artefacts from Allen Newport Limited's gravel pit (BNH 002). It lies to the NE of the original 1946-1948 pit area and was totally destroyed when the pit was reopened and extended in 1952-1953. The finds came to light during trials by Newports to find new gravel areas and Basil worked in the trial holes. His reports are sketchy and apart from noting "the site was Romanised" the finds consisted of small sherds of plain Rom pottery (S1)(S2)(S3)(S4). IA and possibly Sax pottery also at site.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive : map, volumes, card index.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, map 1; VIII, 123; X, 128; LXX, 75, 110; LXXI, 19, 20; XCI, 61: XCVIII, 10; card index 33.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, cards TL88SE2 and TL88SE5.
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1948-268, 1948.
- <S4> SSF20693 Source Unchecked: Plouviez J. SAU, Plouviez J, SMR card,. SAU, Plouviez J, SMR card,.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF6505: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 16 2021 12:13PM