Monument record EXG 102 - Iron Age and Romen features, Brickfield Stud, Newmarket
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 624 651 (364m by 391m)|
|Civil Parish||NEWMARKET, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||EXNING, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
Evidence for prehistoric activity within the development area was recovered in the form of an Iron Age pit and ditch, along with residual material recovered from later contexts. Some of this material was derived from colluvial deposits, which might indicate that prehistoric settlement within the locality was situated on higher ground to the south of the development. Evidence for a 2nd and 3rd century Romano-British enclosure system, aligned perpendicular to a putative Roman road, was uncovered. Sections of the metalled surface of the road were surviving in Trenches 11 and 12. This feature might represent a route connecting Margary's route 333, to the south, with Ely. Furthermore, it is tentatively suggested that this road could have a precursor connecting to the large Iron Age settlement identified at No. 7 The Highlands. Taken at face value, the Roman finds assemblage is typical of low order settlements within the region, with little evidence for imported goods. However, the presence of ceramic building material may suggest the presence of a large Roman building, potentially a villa, in the vicinity of the development area. The faunal remains represent one of the larger assemblages recovered locally, which might also indicate settlement close by. A number of medieval boundary ditches and post-medieval/modern features were also recorded (S1).
- <S1> SSF55637 Unpublished document: Haskins, A.. 2014. Archaeological Evaluation Report, Brickfield Stud, Newmarket.
- FSF38631: ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF38632: POTTERY (Early Neolithic - 4000 BC to 3001 BC)
- FSF38633: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF38634: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF38635: ANIMAL REMAINS (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF38636: POTTERY (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF38638: TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF38640: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF38641: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 11 2022 8:48PM