Monument record FEX 043 - Findspot of a Roman burial ground.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 323 361 (254m by 284m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||FELIXSTOWE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
SIA Quarterly Meeting, June 13, 1850: "The Rev Professor Henslow exhibited a few articles procured by himself from the RB burial ground at Felixstowe, a section of which is exposed by the falling of the cliff. Among them were four bronze armlets... found with two skeletons" (S5)(R3). Rom burial ground (site of) at TM 3236 3613 (S1)(R2). Area defined after (S1)(S6).
Further finds in 1853 (S1) (?probable same).
April - June 1961-2: Proposal for `experimental excavations' at `site 2, TM 323 361 Roman burial ground (alleged) and Norman remains' (S4).
A hollow bronze Roman military cart fitting in the form of an eagle's head rising from leaves or petals and grasping a sphere in its beak (S7). A less ornate but more complete example from Butley was illustrated in 'Archaeology in Suffolk 2007'. Found near to the area of coast where late Roman burials were excavated in the 1850s (see above) (S8).
- --- SSF1 Bibliographic reference: Carver, M.O.H.. 2005. Sutton Hoo: A seventh-century princely burial ground and its context.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM33NW4.
- <R1> SSF7435 (No record type): Henlsow Rev Prof J S, paper read before the Cambrige Antiq Soc, c.1850.
- <R2> SSF17749 (No record type): RONB, 1:2500, 1902.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1921-52.63?.
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Felixstowe Gen, undated.
- <S4> SSF6283 (No record type): Felixstowe Archaeological Movement Journal, 1 pt 3, 1960, 40.
- <S5> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 1, 1851, 218.
- <S6> SSF12668 (No record type): OS, 1:10560 maps, 1926 & 1938.
- <S7> SSF50104 Digital archive: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. Portable Antiquities Database.
- <S8> SSF55372 Article in serial: Brown, A., Martin, E.A. & Plouviez, J.. 2010. Archaeology in Suffolk 2009. XXXXII (2).
- <S9> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 10 2021 11:39AM