Farmstead record WLW 105 - Farmstead: Cranmer Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0160 7142 (113m by 81m)|
|Civil Parish||WALSHAM-LE-WILLOWS, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
A 19th century clay lump cart lodge of three bays and a granary above, which appears to have also been used as an animal shelter at one point (S1).
Cranmer Farm, Walsham-le-Willows. 19th century farmstead and 16th century farmhouse. Loose courtyard four-sided plan formed by working agricultural buildings, with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is detached facing gable end on to the yard. Significant loss (over 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within an isolated position (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF55390 Unpublished document: Nicholaas Joubert. 2014. A report on the architectural history and significance of the granary and cartlodge, Walsham-le-Willows, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF22193 Map: 1843. Walsham-Le-Willows Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 21 2021 2:38PM