Farmstead record ONW 029 - Farmstead: Brown's Place Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0602 6387 (74m by 103m)|
|Civil Parish||OLD NEWTON WITH DAGWORTH, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
An 18th century timber-framed neathouse, which is the last surviving historic farm buidling in the grounds of a 17th century farmhouse. The neathouse is weatherbaorded and it appears that this was once painted in ochre. It is 7 bays in size, originally with a loft above which extended the entire length of the structure. It originally had a a thatched roof, however, the roof was replaced and the loft removed in the 1930's (S1).
Brown Street Farm, Old Newton with Dagworth. 18th century farmstead and 17th century farmhouse with converted buildings. Loose courtyard four-sided plan formed by working agricultural buildings with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Significant loss (over 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a loose farmstead cluster (S2-6).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF55388 Unpublished document: Aitken, P.. 2014. A Heritage Asset Assessment of The Black Barn: An 18th century farm building at Browns Place Farm, Old Newton.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 27 2021 7:29PM