Monument record STT 078 - Site of undated, possibly prehistoric and/or Roman period, rectilinear cropmarks, including a probable trackway
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3148 4374 (238m by 370m)|
|Civil Parish||SHOTTISHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- DITCH (Early Iron Age to Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD?)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Early Iron Age to Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD?)
- TRACKWAY (Unknown date)
- TRACKWAY (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC to 409 AD?)
- PIT (Unknown date)
- PIT (Early Iron Age to Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD?)
April 2016. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
A mainly rectilinear pattern of undated ditches and banks, together with a possible oval pit, are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs (S1)-(S3). The archaeological origin and significance of many of the cropmarks is uncertain. A pair of fragmentary parallel ditches at the southern edge of the site is likely to be a trackway, perhaps contemporary with rectilinear cropmarks further to the southeast (RMS 021). At least some of the remainder could be of recent agricultural and/or geological origin, although Iron Age and Roman material recovered from the area indicates activity here during the period (STT 015, STT 042).
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 28th April 2016.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/759 FS 2034-2035 02-SEP-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 2007 ACCESSED 28-APR-2016 (Digital).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 25-MAY-2011 ACCESSED 28-APR-2016 (Digital).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 29 2016 4:21PM