Monument record BSE 390 - Post-medieval features, Land of Risbygate Street and Nelson Road, Bury St Edmunds
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8501 6445 (40m by 32m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
The post-medieval activity on the site generally consisted of several large pits, usually containing quantities of CBM and other discarded rubbish though some pits contained sparse artefactual remains in a generally sterile soil. Features dated to between the 15th and 18th centuries have been assigned to this phase, although the majority have been dated to within the 15th–16th centuries and are likely to be of early post-medieval date. Several of these pits were not fully excavated due to depth constraints and at least one is likely to have been a flint and chalk-faced well shaft. Most of the wells assigned to this phase had brick upper linings, though they were not excavated since it was unlikely that earlier deposits would be reached before the feature became unworkable. It is quite possible that some may have earlier origins, since the upper fills only represent the final backfilling at the end of their useful life and are not necessarily indicative of their date of construction. A large number of clay pipes were recovered, some of the pipes appear to be wasters or failed products, several of which have kiln lining adhering to them, probably indicating the presence of a tobacco pipe kiln somewhere in the vicinity of the site (S1).
- <S1> SSF55825 Unpublished document: 2014. Post-Excavation Assessment Report, Land off Risbygate Street and Nelson Road , Bury St Edmunds.
- FSF38898: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF38899: TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF38900: BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF38901: TOBACCO PIPE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF38902: WASTER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF38903: KILN WASTE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 6 2018 11:29AM