Monument record FEX 329 - Candlet Road, Cowpasture Farm, Felixstowe
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2999 3616 (836m by 605m)|
|Civil Parish||FELIXSTOWE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (11)
- LINEAR FEATURE (Unknown date)
- PIT (Unknown date)
- PIT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PIT (Early Iron Age - 800 BC to 401 BC)
- PIT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DITCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- DITCH (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- DITCH (Early Bronze Age to Middle Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1001 BC)
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- EXTRACTIVE PIT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
2015: A detailed gradiometry survey identified linear features of probably archaeological origin, as well as a number of possible former pits, though these may also be natural in origin. A number of linear anomalies are unknown (S1).
2016: Archaeological evaluation confirmed the presence of archaeological remains within the site, dating from the Early to Middle Bronze Age to the modern period, with the main concentrations dating predominantly to the Late Iron Age/Romano-British period. The Early to Middle Bronze activity comprised the terminus of a small curvilinear ditch that contained sherds of pottery and several charred grains of hulled wheat. Later prehistoric activity comprised a small pit containing a sizeable quantity of Early Iron Age pottery sherds and a dark, charcoal-rich layer containing pottery along the site's eastern boundary. The Late Iron Age/Romano-British remains, which were largely focussed on the low gravel ridge in the centre of the site and along its southern flank, are probably the remains of a small farming settlement, predominantly dating to the 1st century BC to the 2nd century AD. A medieval ditch at the southern edge of the site may have been associated with a former Benedictine priory. The presence of palaeochannels bordering the streams was clearly established (S3).
- <S1> SSF58478 Unpublished document: Davies, R.. 2015. Geophysical Survey Report, Land North of Candlet Road, Felixstowe.
- <S2> SSF58617 Article in serial: Minter, F. and Saunders, A.. 2018. Archaeology in Suffolk 2017, Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History.
- <S3> SSF58759 Unpublished document: Streatfeild-James, J., and Dixon, S.. 2016. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Land North of Candlet Road, Felixstowe.
- FSF48333: POTTERY (Middle Bronze Age - 1600 BC to 1001 BC)
- FSF48334: POTTERY (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF48335: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF48336: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF48337: BLADE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF48338: BURNT FLINT (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF48339: FIRED CLAY (Undated)
- FSF48340: CERAMIC (Undated)
- FSF48341: NAIL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF48342: ANIMAL REMAINS (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF48343: ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF48344: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- FSF48345: PLANT REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF48346: MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF48347: MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF48348: PLANT REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF48349: PLANT REMAINS (MIS13 to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF48350: PLANT REMAINS (Early Bronze Age to Middle Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1001 BC)
- FSF50436: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation, Land north of Candelt Road, Felixstowe (Ref: OASIS-cotswold2-253087) (ESF23474)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Candlet Road, Felixstowe (Ref: OASIS-archaeol6-335703) (ESF26526)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical Survey, land north of Candlet Road, Felixstowe (ESF23105)
Record last edited
Feb 20 2020 3:29PM