Monument record LCS 205 - Site of Second World War military training area and/or defended locality
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4634 6299 (541m by 475m)|
|Civil Parish||LEISTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
April 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
A Second World War military site, perhaps used for training and/or as a defended locality, is visible as earthworks and structures on aerial photographs (S1)-(S3). There is potential for some elements to still survive, as the eastern part of the site – Broom Covert – is still heathland.; the slit trench at TM 4631 6295 is visible on lidar flown in 2011 (S4). Parts of the site (principally the barbed wire enclosure) were previously recorded as part of LCS 065. Tracks leading from this site towards the Second World War Diver anti-aircraft battery to the south (LCS 063), suggest that the two sites were being utilised by the same troops at the same time, although the site described here was established earlier in the war.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 22nd April 2015.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. US/7GR/LOC355 RS 4055-4056 30-MAY-1944 (EHA Laser Copy).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/462 FS 1066-1068 30-JUN-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1557 FP 1225-1226 07-JUN-1946 (EHA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR TM4662NW Environment Agency 25cm DTM 22-JUL-2011.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: TM46SE. Mapping Block 1: Walberswick to Aldeburgh. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085) (ESF22910)
Record last edited
Mar 11 2016 11:54AM