Monument record LCS 200 - Site of undated boundary on Leiston Common
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4565 6344 (31m by 82m)|
|Civil Parish||LEISTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Unknown date)
March 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
An undated linear bank, probably a former boundary, is visible as an earthwork on Leiston Common on aerial photographs taken in 1946 (S1). It probably relates to the use of the common, in which case a post medieval (or medieval to post medieval) date is likely. More recent imagery on Google Earth suggests that it has since been levelled.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 26th March 2015.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1589 RV 6211-6212 21-JUN-1946 (EHA Original Print).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: TM46SE. Mapping Block 1: Walberswick to Aldeburgh. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085) (ESF22910)
Record last edited
Mar 11 2016 11:55AM