Monument record WLN 100 - Area of braided trackways of probable post medieval date
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4550 6992 (2056m by 1447m)|
|Civil Parish||WESTLETON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
February 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The earthworks and cropmarks of a network of braided tracks and heathland boundaries and routeways dating to at least the post medieval date, but potentially much earlier, are visible on aerial photographs and remote sensed data (S1-S5). Some of the routes are depicted on Hodskinson’s map of 1783 (S6) and probably reflects routes across the heaths already well established by this period. The broad bands of largely surviving earthworks on the heaths have been mapped as an ‘extent of area’, as has an area of cropmarks and soilmarks representing the same sorts of features to the south west of the current extent of the heath. Some individual ditches and trackways to the south of the heath have been mapped to avoid confusion with other features. The features recorded within WLN 092 would appear to represent part of this wider site.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 27th February 2015.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/543 RP 4169-4170 24-JUL-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/462 FS 2015-2016 30-JUN-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/2378 V 0128-0129 28-FEB-1958 (EHA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. OS/73333 V 032-033 23-JUN-1973 (EHA Original Print).
- <S5> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR TM4569, TM 4669 Environment Agency 2m DTM 30-NOV-2010.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 10 2015 1:49PM