Monument record SUT 008 - Group of round barrows, Sutton Hoo; Sutton Mounts; Mound 5
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2884 4877 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
'Mound 5'- 85 feet in diameter and under 1 foot high, 1964 (S1);? 80 feet (24.5m) diameter and unknown height, 1975 (S2).
Partially excavated by I Longworth and I Kinnes in 1970. Revealed a grave containing the silhouette of a crouched inhumation, on the edge of the barrow. Other inhumations nearby, beyond the barrow. Very little surviving of the barrow mound (S3).
Three of mound 5 'satellite' graves were cut into quarry pits: the earliest when the quarry pit was freshly dug, the others when the quarry pits were partially refilled. In one case, the body was accompanied by an organic 'collar' around the neck, and the grave contained several animal horns.mound 5 contains a high proportion of suspected examples of rituall killing, including hanging and decapitation.(S7)
- <M1> SSF45428 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24NE2.5.
- <S2> SSF2433 (No record type): Bruce Mitford R, The Sutton Hoo Ship Burial, 1, 1975.
- <S3> SSF10608 (No record type): Longworth, I.H. & Kinnes, I.A.. Longworth I H and Kinnes I A, Sutton Hoo Excavations, 1966, 1968-1970, Brit Mus Occ Paper 23, 1980.
- <S4> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S5> SSF50023 Photograph: Farrands. Air Photograph. Farrand RH, AP, 148.1, 15 July 1976.
- <S6> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 36 (1) 1985 p52, PSIAH 36(2) 1986 p155, PSIAH 37(1) 1989 p76.
- <S7> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 37(2), 1989, p163-164.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 25 2019 11:41AM