Monument record SUT 038 - Group of round barrows, Sutton Hoo; Sutton Mounts (IA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 288 487 (228m by 385m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Group of Scheduled round barrows, Sutton Hoo.
Ditch and post-holes found in excavations by P Ashbee under Mound 1 (SUT 004). Small amount of pottery associated, including a Belgic sherd (S1, S2). Ditches, post-holes & four posters found in excavations by I Longworth and I Kinnes to the W of Mound 5 (SUT 008) and elsewhere. Some of the pottery is of LBA/EIA Darmsden type (S3).
- <S1> SSF2435 (No record type): Bruce Mitford R, The Sutton Hoo Ship Burial, 1, 1975, 29-30.
- <M1> SSF37336 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF5689 (No record type): Ellison A, Bull Sutton Hoo Res Comm 4, 1986, 38-39.
- <S3> SSF10607 (No record type): Longworth, I.H. & Kinnes, I.A.. Longworth I H and Kinnes I A, Sutton Hoo Excavations 1966, 1968-1970, Brit Mus Occ Paper 23, 1980.
- <S4> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Ashbee P (Ref: Ashbee P) (ESF14977)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Carver M (Ref: Carver M) (ESF16159)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Longworth I and Kinnes I (Ref: Longworth I and Kinnes I) (ESF16019)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Longworth I and Kinnes I (Ref: Longworth I and Kinnes I) (ESF16129)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2012 3:13PM