Farmstead record FNN 024 - Farmstead: Green Farm

Please read our .

Summary

Green Farm, Finningham. 17th century farmstead and 16th farmhouse with converted buildings. Regular courtyard multi-yard plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditioanl farm buildings. Located within a village.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 0668 6931 (59m by 134m)
Map sheet TM06NE
Civil Parish FINNINGHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Mid to late 16th century, farmhouse extended early 17th century at both ends and again to right later in 17th century all for Frere family; altered and extended 20th century. Timber frame, plastered. Steeply pitched plaintiled roofs, some pantiles to rear. Core is probably 2 storeyed bays with stack to left and apparent cross passage bay to right, extended with a 2 bay parlour crosswing to left and 3 bays to right possibly including 'unit house' accommodation with service functions; later 17th century dairy cross wing added to right to form an irregular half H on plan. 2 storeys with attics in cross wings. Long main range has a 20th century gabled porch to centre or into original lower hall bay, 20th century 3-light casements. Axial ridge stack to left of main range, broached to 3 octagonal moulded bases, rebuilt octagonal shafts. Short parlour wing projects slightly to left with 20th century casements, acanthus consoles to exposed plates, a glasshouse on 2 bay left return, gable end to rear projects slightly with a 4-light ovolo mullioned attic window, acanthus consoles to exposed plates. To far right of main range is a 19th century axial ridge stack to kitchen with 2 octagonal shafts following earlier stack. Dairy wing extends forward with shaped brackets to exposed plates in gable front, rear gable does not project, 20th century additions to rear. Interior: much of frame is concealed, hall has a quirked wave moulded cross axial binding beam, jowled storey posts, ovolo moulded door surround leading to parlour; In former cross passage bay a reassembled staircase reusing 18th century vase balusters, moulded handrail, 19th century newel posts with acorn finials, original right end wall has close studding with a tension brace, arched braces to cambered tie beams, hall chamber ovolo moulded 4 centred arched brick. fireplace, inserted ogee stop chamfered binding beams. Roof over early bays is altered retaining original rafters, 3 bays to right have single butt purling, collars to principals, arched windbraces. Parlour has ovolo moulded mid-rails, stop chamfered axial binding beam, ovolo and hollow moulded 4 centred arched brick fireplace, partition removed for stair to rear, parlour chamber ovolo moulded cross axial binding beam and side girts, double butt purlin roof, collars to principals, arched windbraces. Dairy wing runout chamfered binding beams, first floor jewel stopped chamfered binding beam and runout chamfered joists, roof largely renewed (S1).

2015: Heritage Statement for the Small Barn, written to support applications for planning permission and listed building consent for the conversion of the Small Barn at Green Farm, Finningham to residential use. The Small Barn at Green farm is not a listed building. However, it is within the curtilage of Green Farmhouse, a listed building. The farmyard arrangements can be seen in the first edition of the Ordnance Survey map of 1885. At some time after 1904, the buildings attached to the north of the small barn were demolished as was the yard wall. The small barn itself was also altered. Originally thatched the building is now roofed in corrugated sheeting (S2).

2016: A Historic Building Record was written to fulfil a condition of planning consent for conversion. Green Farm lies at the southern edge of Finningham village on the corner of Church Green and Wickham Road. The grade II-listed former farmhouse originated in the 16th century but was enlarged to form an imposing ‘gentry’ residence after its acquisition in 1593 by the Frere family, which by 1660 had prospered sufficiently purchase Finningham Manor and much of the parish. At the time of the tithe survey in 1839 the farm was a tenanted arable holding of 109 acres on the estate of the Right Honourable John Hookham Frere and occupied by Charles Steggles. The two adjoining ‘barns’ in the south-western corner of the enclosed yard in front of the house are separately listed at grade II. The southernmost of these is a fine timber-framed threshing barn of five bays that formed part of the Freres’ aggrandizement of the site in the early-17th century. It was originally entered from the green on the west but possessed an eastern porch on the site of a small 19th century replacement. Its framing is of
high quality, with mid-rails in its walls and a well preserved roof containing two tiers of buttpurlins and an almost full complement of wind-braces. This roof is now covered with corrugated iron but was formerly thatched, and its external walls were rendered from the outset. The adjoining timber-framed ‘barn’ of four bays to the north is a much altered 18th century addition, possibly of 1758 (which date is boldly carved into the central post of its northern gable). This building originally contained a three-bay compartment with an upper storey to the north with a single-bay section to the south, and was almost certainly built as a stable with a hay loft and tack room. Its walls were almost entirely rebuilt in brick and cement block-work during the 20th century, but its original double butt-purlin roof structure remains intact. At some point the original ceiling was removed and a new, higher ceiling inserted at eaves level into the two northern bays which were divided from the rest. The village website notes that a schoolroom was formerly attached to Green Farm Barn, and the new two-bay room may have been intended for this purpose. Two additional single-storied outbuildings to the south and east were designed as open-sided animal shelter-sheds but incorporate parts of an older boundary wall of shuttered or rammed earth that may be contemporary with the house. This earthen wall is a rare survival which offers important insight into the layout of gentry farmsteads in the 17th century (S3).

Green Farm, Finningham. 17th century farmstead and 16th farmhouse with converted buildings. Regular courtyard multi-yard plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditioanl farm buildings. Located within a village (S4-9).

Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.

Sources/Archives (9)

  • <S1> Digital archive: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England. List entry Number: 1033152.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Selby, J.. 2015. Heritage Statement Small Barn at Green Farm.
  • <S3> Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2016. Historic Building Record: Barn at Green Farm, Finningham, Suffolk.
  • <S4> Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
  • <S5> Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
  • <S6> Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
  • <S7> Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
  • <S8> Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
  • <S9> Map: 1839. Finningham Tithe and Apportionment.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Apr 24 2020 11:58AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.