Monument record RGH 094 - Suffolk Business Park, Moreton Hall Estate
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8873 6377 (986m by 708m)|
|Civil Parish||RUSHBROOKE WITH ROUGHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (11)
- PIT (Unknown date)
- FIELD BOUNDARY? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- RUNWAY? (IPS: Modern - 1901 AD? to 2050 AD?)
- ANIMAL BURIAL (IPS: Modern - 1901 AD? to 2050 AD? (pre))
- HEARTH (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- DITCH (Undated)
- EXTRACTIVE PIT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- EXTRACTIVE PIT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- PIT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- HEARTH (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- PIT (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
2016: A geophysical survey identified the remains of a former Royal Air Force Station, agricultural activity, modern structures and geological deposits. The edges of the former runways of Rougham Airfield were detected, as well as former field boundaries. A number of strong, pit-like features occur across the area (S1, S2).
2017: Second phase of evaluation in the Treatt site area recorded four undated pits, two with in situ burning, one with a burning deposit, and one that was heavily truncated. The characteristics of the features suggest a potential broadly contemporary relationship with similar early medieval hearths identified as similar pits in the earlier phase of evaluation. In addition, modern disturbances and deposits of ferrous metal objects, associated with the later use of the site as a United States Army Air Force airfield during the Second World War, were recorded across the site (S3).
2017: Suffolk Business Park (Phase 2) evaluation revealed a surface finds assemblag of worked flint recovered from the topsoil across the site in Field 1 and from sealed deposits of several archaeological features though some of these may be residential. Sixteen large pits were exposed in various parts of the site, which may have been of prehistoric origin given the flint artefacts from associated conexts and similar features recorded previously, though they may have been more recent, sincle many post-medieval chalk and gravel extraction pits have been recorded in the area. A series of small pits/hearth were also found in the north-east, east,s out and south-west with a concentration in the north-west, suggestive of settlement activity located within the vicinity. One of the small pits located in the south-west contained Iron Age pottery. One was also radiocarboned dated to the Early-Middle Iron Age and another ot the Saxon period. A number of post-medieval ditches were found to the east and south-west with one of the projectedditch alignments to the south-west visible on aerial and historic mapping suggesting the site was utilised as an area of arable field activity (S4)(S5).
(See BSE 508 for evaluation results for Suffolk Park Business Extension).
- <S1> SSF58077 Unpublished document: Fletcher, L. and Shaw, H.. 2016. Heritage Desk-Based Assessment, Suffolk Business Park Extension, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF58096 Unpublished document: Swinbank, L.. 2016. Geophysical Survey Report, Land at Moreton Hall, Bury St Edmunds.
- <S3> SSF58078 Unpublished document: Joyce, M.. 2017. Archaeological Evaluation, Suffolk Business Park, Treatt Site, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
- <S4> SSF58310 Unpublished document: Nichol, M., and Boyer, P.. 2017. Archaeological Evcaluation Report: Suffolk Business Park (Phase 2), Bury St Edmunds.
- <S5> SSF58617 Article in serial: Minter, F. and Saunders, A.. 2018. Archaeology in Suffolk 2017, Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History.
- FSF45989: FLAKE (Unknown date)
- FSF45990: TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF46594: POTTERY (Early Iron Age to Middle Iron Age - 800 BC to 101 BC)
- FSF46595: TILE (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF46596: ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Interpretation: Desk-Based Assessment - Suffolk Business Park Extension, Rougham (ESF25920)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Suffolk Business Park (Phase 2), Rougham (Ref: OASIS-cotswold2-286722) (ESF25582)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Suffolk Park Business Extension (Treatt Site), Rougham (Ref: OASIS-cotswold2-278600) (ESF25464)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical Survey - Suffolk Park, Moreton Hall Estate (Ref: OASIS-magnitud1-262469) (ESF24699)
Record last edited
Jul 10 2020 12:41PM