Farmstead record MRM 169 - Farmstead: Martlesham Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2618 4680 (62m by 88m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- OUTBUILDING (19th century to IPS: Modern - 1800 AD to 2050 AD)
- STABLE (19th century to 20th century - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD FULL PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD U PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Martlesham Hall is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a full regular courtyard and a regular U-plan yard with the house detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead is set alongside a public road associated with a church, rectory, and graveyard. The farmstead survives intact.
Part of a range of former agricultural buildings situated close to Martlesham Hall. The existing building is of a traditional red stock brickwork masonry construction with a slate hipped roof. Previously a stable block it is currently used for storage (S1)(S2).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S1> SSF57079 Unpublished document: Wincer Kievenaar. 2014. Heritage Statement: Proposed Conversion of Outbuilding to form Annexe, Martlesham Hall.
- <S2> SSF57080 Unpublished document: Wincer Kievenaar. 2014. Design and Access Statement: Proposed Conversion of Outbuilding to form Annexe.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 30 2019 10:02AM