Farmstead record MWN 018 - Farmstead: Rookery Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2269 5725 (152m by 111m)|
|Civil Parish||MONEWDEN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Rookery Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular courtyard L-plan with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in a loose farmstead cluster. There has been a partial loss of working buildings with the remaining converted for residential use.
A heritage assess assessment was carried out on the farm buildings prior to their conversion. The farmstead was occupied by the Stebbing family over the late 16th to 17th centuries. Most of the buildings on the farm appear on an estate map dated to 1656. The main barn located furthest to the east of the farm has 16th century origins with 17th and 18th century additions. Much survives of the 16th century timber frame, although the roof appears to have been reconstructed during the 19th or early 20th century (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S1> SSF57102 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P.. 2012. A Heritage Asset Assessment of the Farm Buildings at Rookery Farm, Monewden, Suffolk.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 1 2019 9:47AM