Monument record SUT 039 - Possible Post Medieval house sites to the north of Ferry Farm, Sutton
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2785 4801 (65m by 95m)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Rectilinear enclosure, small circa 30m by 20m. Coincides with the site of two buildings shown on William Haiward's map of Sutton 1629, and named as belonging to Mr William Wiseman (S2).
Two possible Post Medieval ditched enclosures are visible as cropmarks on an aerial photograph, to the north of Ferry Farm in Sutton parish. The enclosures are both sub-rectangular, the one located at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) being roughly 21m by 20m and the one located at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) being roughly 27m by 16m. (S1) It is possible that the enclosures could related to Post Medieval building sites to the north of Ferry Farm, as shown on an early 17th century map of Sutton parish but it is difficult to be sure. (S3) Another L-shaped ditch feature is also visible in the same location on aerial photographs from 1945, centred on (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s). (S4)
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BQK87) 16-JUL-1974.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP BQK 87.
- <S2> SSF21537 (No record type): SRO (I), JA1/54/2 & 3, `Description and platte of the town of Sutton...' by Wm Haiward, 1629.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: photocopy of (S2).
- <S3> SXS50104 Map: Peter Warren. circa 1984. Sutton Parish in the early 17th Century. circa 1600-1/1629-31 (LRO 629/1).
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/832 4073-4074 23-SEP-1945.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 11 2009 2:54PM