Monument record GSG 052 - Land South of Thornham Road, Gislingham
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0773 7168 (212m by 177m)|
|Civil Parish||GISLINGHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
2017: Evaluation identified below-ground archaeological remains comprised of ditches, pits and postholes. Early/Middle Saxon pits and postholes were identified and they contained a range of cultural debris, including 22 sherds of pottery, which may suggest dispersed domestic occupation in the vicinity. A small, iron whittle tanged knife was recovered from one of the pits, the knife appears to be complete (L80mm) it could be of early Post medieval date or earlier date possibly contempory with the Early/Middle Saxon pottery. Further undated features are likely to be associated with this activity. A few medieval remains were also found, including 8 sherds of pottery 1 of which is Early Medieval Sandy Ware 11-13th century, which the other 7 are all from the same vessel but are abraded and fragmented. There is also an undated ditches that may also be of a similar date. Post medieval ditches are present that relate to agricultural land us activity and indicate boundary loss during the 20th century. A Post medieval white alloy tube fragment and an iron nail were also recovered. Other finds include 16 pieces of Prehistoric struck flint mainly representing knapping waste, 4 sherds of Roman pottery of typical early Roman sandy black-surfaced fabric. Environmental samples identified cereal grains (S1)(S2).
- <S1> SSF57748 Unpublished document: Archaeology South East. 2017. Archaeological Evaluation: Land south of Thornham Road, Gislingham, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF58617 Article in serial: Minter, F. and Saunders, A.. 2018. Archaeology in Suffolk 2017, Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History.
- FSF44910: POTTERY (Early Saxon to Middle Saxon - 410 AD to 849 AD)
- FSF44911: KNIFE (Post Roman - 410 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- FSF44912: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF44914: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF44915: FLAKE (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Early Neolithic - 9000 BC? to 3001 BC?)
- FSF50432: BLADE (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Early Neolithic - 9000 BC? to 3001 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation at Land South of Thornham Road, Gislingham (Ref: OASIS-archaeol6-276691) (ESF25429)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Land rear of West View Gardens, Gislingham (Ref: OASIS-networka2-289028) (ESF25618)
Record last edited
Sep 2 2022 3:28PM