Monument record SUT 020 - Long Barrow on Sutton Common (Neo)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 31386 47687 (132m by 132m)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Long Barrow (supposed) but much more likely to be a rabbit warren mound (see PMed) - on edge of woodland.
1.74m high, 13.5m wide, 44.5m long. Orientated approximately NW-SE. Has a ditch, now circa 0.45m deep, only on the N side. Has a trench cut into its N side (S1)(S2). Scheduled Monument.
1981: Barrow covered in bracken with two birch and 1 small oak tree on summit. Ditch visible on NE and trench at the N. Area is now countryside park (S1).
- --- SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 RD 02-FEB-82.
- <M1> SSF43253 (No record type): APs: AFP 2-5.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM34NW11.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <R2> SSF18415 (No record type): SAU, AP AFP 2-5.
- <M2> SSF43254 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Lawson A J, Martin E A & Priddy D. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. 21 & microfiche.
- <S2> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
Aug 19 2021 4:02PM