Monument record WKB 051 - Medieval remains, Giffords Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7708 5387 (34m by 30m)|
|Civil Parish||WICKHAMBROOK, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
May 2018: Within the moated enclosure, in the area of the car park to the north of the house and in a gravelled area to the east, archaeological evaluation revealed medieval remains beneath post-medieval and modern made-ground, at a depth of between 1m and .5m below ground level. The nature of the remains, which large date to the mid-12th to 14th centuries, is uncertain, but they include as possible ditch or pit, a buries soil layer and two thick deposits if soil that may be associated with earth-moving activity during this period.
It was demonstrated that the northern arm of the moat, which was backfilled in the early 1900s, had largely been cleaned out prior to it being backfilled with dumps of clay, soil and brick rubble. The north side of the moat was intact, excavation revealing its outer banks overlying vestiges of the former subsoil and topsoil horizons, but the south side had been extensively truncated by modern groundworks. The latter may have been associated with the demolition and post demolition groundworks of a brick building that once occupied the east end of the car park (S1).
Included in the Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History annual round up of individual finds and discoveries for 2018. (S2)
- <S1> SSF59256 Unpublished document: Carlyle, S.. 2018. Archaeological Evaluation and Watching Brief Report: Gifford's Hall, Wickhambrook.
- <S2> SSF59230 Article in serial: Minter, F., Rolfe, J. and Saunders, A.. 2019. Archaeology in Suffolk 2018, Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History.
- FSF49413: BURNT FLINT (MIS13 to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF49414: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF49415: DAUB (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF49416: PEG TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF49417: BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF49418: JAR (20th century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- FSF49419: BOTTLE (20th century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 4 2019 4:11PM