Monument record LKH 385 - Undated earthworks on Lakenheath warren
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (7)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- POLYGONAL ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
January 2018. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
An area of undated earthworks, included possible enclosures and boundary banks, was visible on the aerial photographs (S1-S4) within the eastern part of Lakenheath Warren. A possible polygonal enclosure, a rectangular enclosure and individual bank segments were tentatively identified within the eastern part of Lakenheath Warren, however due to the presence of multiple tracks, relating for recent and older twentieth century activity on the heath – for example see LKN 386 for the Second World War bomb store and military training on the warren – it is hard to be certain about the origin of these features. Not all possible features were included within mapping. The date and archaeological significance of any earthworks is uncertain, some may relate to stock and fodder enclosures relating to the warren, or feasibly predate the warren and relate to earlier enclosures and boundaries of potential later prehistoric and/or Roman date.
The underlying periglacial earthworks and vegetation marks on the aerial photographs also make understanding the archaeology problematic. Further investigation on the ground and access to good resolution lidar data would be beneficial. These earthworks would be better understood in relation to the remainder of Lakenheath Warren to the west, which lies outside of the project area.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 5th January 2018.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. OS/71216 V 167-168 14-MAY-1971 (HEA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. OS/76129 V 340-341 02-JUL-1976 (HEA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. OS/89407 V 183-184 05-SEP-1989 (HEA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 19-MAR-2003 ACCESSED 24-JAN-2018 (Digital).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 28 2018 1:37PM