Monument record HRK 098 - Bronze Age ditch and post-medieval ditches, Proposed Agricultural Reservoir, Nether Hall Farm (SA) GEO
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TM 1968 3476 (point)|
|Civil Parish||HARKSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
May 2018: Archaeological evaluation identified predominantly post-medieval field boundary and drainage ditches. Two large undated features in the north-western corner of the site were not clearly identifiable, but the later of these could represent a former pond, given its humic fill and proximity to both a north-south watercourse and an existing pond just outside of the proposed development area. Prehistoric activity was identified adjacent to the southern boundary of the site where a probable Bronze Age ditch was recorded close to a large shallow ditch or natural hollow filled with heat-altered flint rich material and a silty fill containing Late Bronze age pottery. It is possible that at least some of the undated ditches elsewhere on the site which had sterile, leached fills and were sealed by a layer of subsoil, were also of prehistoric date. Activity associated with a disused gravel quarry marked on historic maps appears to have had some impact on the north eastern edge of the site, but the full extent of this is unclear (S1).
Included in the Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History annual round up of individual finds and discoveries for 2018. (S2)
- <S1> SSF58679 Unpublished document: Everett, L.. 2018. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Nether Hall Farm Proposed Reservoir, Harkseatd.
- <S2> SSF59230 Article in serial: Minter, F., Rolfe, J. and Saunders, A.. 2019. Archaeology in Suffolk 2018, Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History.
- FSF48050: POTTERY (Middle Bronze Age - 1600 BC to 1001 BC)
- FSF48051: POTTERY (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF48052: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF48053: ROOF TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48054: FIRED CLAY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48055: BLADE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Nov 4 2019 10:59AM