Monument record BSE 656 - Abbey precint wall and building evidence, 26 Angel Hill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8554 6428 (10m by 10m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
Archaeological evaluation on an area formerly containing monastic buildings and the outer precinct wall of the medieval Abbey of St Edmunds confirmed the presence of the precinct wall, which cuts through earlier pits and may provide evidence for pre-dating the Abbey precinct wall. The uppermost walls in the sequence appear to cut through 17th-19th century pits. A small quantity of medieval pottery, including local coarse wares and Grimston ware, was recovered from the earliest deposits. Medieval peg tile was also found and modest quantities of animal bone associated with food west and skinning activities. Four blocks of dressed limestone are through to have been part of an Abbey building. The later walls likely represent a single campaign of building in the 17th to 18th centuries, consistent with other buildings in Mustow Street (S1).
- <S1> SSF58885 Unpublished document: Collins, T., Jones, C., and Haygreen, J.. 2018. Archaeological Evaluation Report: 26 Angel Hill, Bury St Edmunds.
- FSF48783: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF48784: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48785: POTTERY GRIMSTON (13th century to 15th century - 1200 AD to 1499 AD)
- FSF48786: PEG TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF48787: BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF48788: PEG TILE (18th century to 19th century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- FSF48789: BRICK (18th century to 19th century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- FSF48790: DRESSED STONE (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF48791: ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48792: MARINE MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48793: PLANT MACRO REMAINS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Apr 11 2019 12:46PM