Building record BNC 120 - Benacre Hall

Please read our .


18th century mansion, core dated to 1721 and remodelled in 1763-64.


Grid reference Centred TM 5041 8381 (55m by 61m)
Map sheet TM58SW


Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Grade II listed country house. Mansion. Core of c.1721, for Thomas Carthew; remodelled 1763-4 by Matthew Brettingham for Sir Thomas Gooch, 3rd Baron. Interior gutted by fire 1926 but subsequently restored. White brick, with rusticated stone quoins and a stone modillion eaves cornice and parapet. Slated roof. 3 storeys. 11 windows, 3:5:3, the 5 centre bays set slightly forward and pedimented, with the Gooch family crest in the tympanum. Inset sash windows with glazing bars, stone architraves. Doorway with 6-panel fielded door in 2 leaves and and stone doorcase; mid C19 hexastyle Greek Doric portico, the frieze having the Gooch family crest alternating with small flower motifs. 5-bay return fronts. The rear elevation is arranged as the front, but with no pediment over the centre bays; the ground floor windows extend to ground level. Original stone doorcase, removed from the main facade: engaged Ionic columns, entablature and pediment; the doors are C20 (S1).

A service range is attached to the north of the hall, which links the hall with the stable block. Mid C19. Red brick, slated roof. 2 storeys. 9 windows, inset sashes with glazing bars under flat brick arches (S2).

The North family purchased the Benacre estate during the reign of Charles I and remained in possession until 1708 when it was inherited by Thomas Carthew. It was later sold to Sir Thomas Gooch (Bishop of Norwich and Ely), who remodelled and built the present house in 1764. It is a substantial brick building of 11 bays and a five-bay pediment and with a substantial porte-cochere with six doric columns (S2).

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <S1> Digital archive: English Heritage. Listed Buildings Online. National Ref: 1032107.
  • <S2> Digital archive: English Heritage. Listed Buildings Online. National Ref: 1352556.
  • <S3> Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

May 15 2018 11:03AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.